Re: HYB: Dark purple pallida type
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Dark purple pallida type
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 12:21:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Linda,
I had to list the parentage again to answer:

[Iris cengialtii x (Iris variegata x suaveolens var. mellita)] X
[('Kupari' x 'Rosemary's Dream') x ('Kupari' x suaveolens var. rubromarginata)]

So...
Iris cengialtii - relatively blue, no yellow
Iris variegata - definitely has yellow
Iris suaveolens var. mellita - a rusty purple, most likely with some yellow in it
Iris pallida 'Kupari' - white, no yellow
MTB 'Rosemary's Dream' - pinkish purple on white ground plicata
Iris suaveolens var. rubromarginata - same rusty purple as mellita

So I'd say the answer is yes! There were several sources of yellow.
But what exactly is going on pigment-wise in this seedling? Maybe your petal soaking methods would help to start figuring out. Unfortunately it's too late for this season.
Maybe next year.
Best wishes, Tom

Thanks Tom. Definitely redder than pallida. Do any of the species in
the pedigree have yellow? I get so mixed up about the various pigments,
esp the various shades of purple. Never can remember whether they are
different anthocyanins or a mix of antho & yellow or a mix of antho &
other stuff.

Linda Mann