Re: HYB: Winesap X Wearing Rubies maiden
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Winesap X Wearing Rubies maiden
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <Autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 10:46:47 -0400 (EDT)

A real keeper. Is it fertile?

Betty Wilkerson
Zone 6 KYautmirislvr@aol.com

-----Original Message-----
From: MryL1 <MryL1@msn.com>
To: iris-photos <iris-photos@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wed, May 16, 2012 1:59 am
Subject: [iris-photos] HYB: Winesap X Wearing Rubies maiden

I hesitated to post this one for fear you guys wouldn't believe
the color accurate. This is how it looks 2nd day. Falls are black
first day open.
Last year I swore an oath I'd never put pollen on Winesap again,
since nearly everything I got was almostÂidentical to it in form and
branching. This one is either a year late with it's maiden or has
improved beyond recognition. Can't believe I would have missed that
beard last year, though, no matter what else was going on.Â
It has a triple terminal and 2 actual,Âgood branches.ÂI was so amazed,
I didn't believe the marker. Went clear to the start and counted rows
to be sure.Â
BTW - the favorite spring maiden has a redder variegata sib with a
spent primary and blooming on increase. NotÂas wide, but not bad.
More reason to suspect the pod parent could have rebloomed, given
half a chance.Â
Chuck - That's exactly what I thought. Quite a gamble, though.
Mary Lou, near IndianapolisÂ