Re: HYB: 2nd year sprouts for intense color
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: 2nd year sprouts for intense color
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 07:08:25 -0400

Wow. Nice.

And interesting. I continue to see (I think) differences in strength
and occasionally in color/pattern between first and 2nd year germinants.
Interesting that some growth characteristics (dormancy requirements,
disease resistance/growth) can sometimes? be linked with color/pattern.

Pinks (which goes along with at least the anthocyanins being blocked,
therefore pastel blue/purples) seem to mostly germinate the first year,
and with the least time chilling.

Seems like others have said plics are similar - early and least chilling.

May have little to do with color & much to do with pedigree/climate
selection. In other words, the first/most used pinks may have happened
to be ones that germinated early after little chilling. Same thing may
be true for what I'm seeing - strength genes for my growing conditions
may be coming from the same genetic source as requirement for (at least)
two cycles of chilling.

Thinking out loud - sorry...

Anyway, interesting. And will be interesting to see if the traits can
be separated - to get both first year germination and strong colors from
this line ;-) Save some time!

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7b