HYB: 2nd year sprouts for intense color
  • Subject: HYB: 2nd year sprouts for intense color
  • From: <MryL1@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 01:36:13 -0400

What I have as Blue Moonlight apparently grows taller than what
Betty has as BM.  What I have may not be BM, but was bought
under the name and matches the description, including "cream beard
heavily tipped yellow orange."
Even though it's parents, Feed Back and Brother Carl, show no evidence
of t factor, recessives can, of course, carry along, unexpressed, indefinitely.
Sharpshooter has not been a notably strong grower here, either.  As with
so many bred in different climates, setting a pod on it has not been possible.
The stalk I brought home from a show was much better than any I've had
here, so may just not like my garden.
It could be that the difficulty in setting pods stems from the plant not
being fully acclimated to conditions here.  I know it can take up to 3 years,
but by that time, I've generally given up and moved on.  I'm still thinking
about that pod on Juke Box Hero.  I had to have tried at least 30 blooms
the first 3 years with no takes, while it bloomed normally the whole time.
We're having a very dry spring this year - maybe that's what it likes.
Here's one of only 2 2nd year sprouts of Come What May X Lunar Whitewash.
The other has a spent primary.  All first year sprouts were white with a little
yellow except one, which was the palest variegata I've ever seen.  Hafts
are darker than they look in this photo.
Mary Lou, near Indianapolis

JPEG image