Re: HYB: 2nd year sprouts for intense color
  • Subject: Re: HYB: 2nd year sprouts for intense color
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 07:41:49 -0400 (EDT)

Yes, genes can carry through unexpressed, for multiple generations.
For each generation reduce probability by 2. So how far back is "t"
gene in each of these lines? find where this occurs in pedigree. then
1/2 to power of n, where n represents number of generation. For example
for 4 generations probability would be 1/2 to power of 4, = 1/16 So
1/16 for one line times 1/16 for second line gives one out of 256. And
this is for two t genes. for three copies of "t" gene, multiply again
by 1/16 for one out of 4,096. For 5 generations it would be one out
of 65,536. For 6 generations one out of 1,048,576. So they can carry,
but the farther they are from original plant with gene, the lower the
probability of having it. (this is based on diploid genetics, for
tetraploid it would actually be a lower probability,. higher for first
generations, but 1/4 for later generations)

Three sets of "t" genes gives a distinctive colour to beard, which is
not there in photos of Blue Moonlight that I have.

You could do some more crosses of your Blue Moonlight to other t
factor iris for a test cross.

See my post in response to Linda M re linkage and
probability/statistics of population samples.

Chuck Chapman