Re: HYB: 2nd year sprouts
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: 2nd year sprouts
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 19:06:20 -0400

I think we be talking past each other to some extent - terminology on my
part. By "linked", I mean in the general sense - not that they are
close to each other in any physiological sense, only that they are on
the same chromosome. Maybe at opposite ends ;-) I'm not even
slightly familiar with frequencies/probabilities of crossing over &
relationships to distances along chromosome 'legs' (arms?), tho I
vaguely remember reading about studies of such. As I recall, the
farther away, much higher probability of crossing over, which is why I
guess the close ones are considered 'linked'.

> is not the same as factors linked by having
> genes closely aligned physically on same chromosome

This is what I thought you were implying. ;-)
> All my genetics and statistic forensics say these two samples are not
> from same two parents.

Mary Lou, any chance pot/refrigerator baggie labels migrated from one
year to the next?

The one cross I saw the biggest color difference from first year to
second year germination was definitely the same pot (IMM X CSONG). But
there was some overlap, sort of, of colors. Most germinated the first
year - mostly creams, a few whites, one yellow, two rosepurple selfs,
one bluepurple amoena. Second year several whites (including one
t-bearded - so much for first year easy germ of t factor with no
anthycyanin), a few "pink" anthocyanin amoenas, one bluepurple amoena,
no creams, no selfs. Enough overlap of 'types' that I can believe that
color was random in relation to chilling requirements.

Another question - are you saying that crossing two "poor quality"
inbred lines always produces "good quality" offspring? Surely not.
Depends on what other 'junk' is dragged along in the two inbred lines.
If both inbred lines have (back to irises) summer crud susceptible
foliage, then I'd expect the outcross seedlings to have it too. Same
concept with outcrossing two inbred pink lines - if both have early
germination, why would it go away in the offspring? I can't understand
why that trait would suddenly acquire a "normal" distribution.

Linda Mann