Re: HYB: 2nd year sprouts
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: 2nd year sprouts
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 08:03:30 -0400

Chuck, I wouldn't attempt any kind of stats on these data - from memory
- 1 t-bearded white in year 2 vs 0 in year 1 ;-) 2 selfs in year 1 vs
0 in year 2. 1 amoena in year 1 vs maybe 4? (the first year cycle
reblooms, tossed all the second years, no rebloom). 3 or 4 creams year
1 vs 0 year 2. One cycle rebloom year 1 vs 0 year 2.

The only color possibly well enough represented both years is white - I
think there were 3? or maybe 4 the first year, 4 the second. marginal
even for chi square.

Plus most of the germination was the first year in this cross. Given the
much smaller population the second year, the white ratios might be
significantly diff. big woop ;-) recessive vs dominant white? (just to
add more confusion...)

And there is the added problem with sampling seedling color here -
remember I'm trying to breed for disease resistance, so even with that
fairly large population of survivors from IMM X Csong, seedlings died
before blooming.

So <if> (and you've already said you don't accept this as probable) any
of the genes related to disease resistance are on the same chromosomes
as any of the color/pattern genes, results would be skewed (i.e., no
longer 'normal')

Anyway, personally, I'm not convinced those differences were 'real'
(stat limitations aside).

I'm much more convinced (in <my> seedlings) there are differences
between 1st and 2nd year germinants and disease/climate resistance.
Coulda had decent data from BEHOLD A LADY X CSONG - about half
germinated the first year, the rest the second, so good balance. None
of the first years thrived - I think there might be one little scrap of
one still out there, all the second years were robust, healthier (but
not super healthy) growers. Those that survived long enough to bloom -
n=9 yr 1, n=6 (I think) yr 2; I think there were still big clumps of 5?
of the second years out there last year. Not sure how well they have
held up to weeds and summer heat/drought the last couple of years.
Nearly abandoned row segments.

I have pretty good 1st and 2nd germ on a few crosses from 2010 - will
try to keep notes for comparison.

Anybody know Joe Ghio well enough to ask him about color/pattern
differences he's seen between first and second year germinants, if any?
In one of his catalogs, he mentioned finding 2nd year germinant
'keepers' in a seedbed that he hadn't gotten around to renovating
several years ago (in subsequent years, those seedlings were introduced
as parentage unknown, tho I think he's edited some of those since - not
sure) & has since been intentionally holding seeds for a second year of
germination.

Linda Mann