Re: Re: HYB: 2nd year sprouts
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: 2nd year sprouts
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 12:21:49 -0400 (EDT)

I too have found keepers in second year germination plants. but don't
think there is any difference in percentages from first year
germination.

Memories can play tricks. And errors can occur. With small numbers it
is easy to get differences between 1st and 2nd year germination . But
to know if it is significant you need large enough numbers and hard
core data to enable a mathematical test. Usually at least 6 of each
colour. or genetic trait (eg tangerine beard) so you can check
distribution between years.

I have never seen any evidence for this and I do keep good records.
Including a good number of croses where I photograph every seedling,
regardless of when it germinate or blooms. Coded for year of bloom.

I also don't see any direct bio-chemical connection between
germination chemical chains and any other flower trait. If any exists
it would have to be a gene linkage between these traits that do not
have a bio-chemical link shared. There would (if any exists) be only
on one trait, not multiple traits. So we would never get, for instance,
a tangerine factor plus an intensity trait. There are many many
thousands genes in each plant. Every single bio-chemical, protein,
co-enzyme, chaperone molecule etc, etc, has its own gene. And they are
all strung out along the different chromosomes. So the probability of
any two being closely located to each other is small. The probability
of three particular ones is astronomically low, and of three, well,
probably about 1 divided by infinity. Remember, genes are randomly
distributed. There is no overall organization of particular types of
genes being located near each other. Although control genes are often
located close to the structural gene, but only in folded state, not
necessarily close on linear chain. That is they end up being close to
each other after DNA is folded into tertiary structure to form
chromosome.

Chuck Chapman