HYB: toward turquoise at the diploid level
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: HYB: toward turquoise at the diploid level
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 09:49:24 -0700 (PDT)

This picture does a pretty good job of capturing the turquoise traces I've been seeing. I removed the standards so that you can better see the stylearms - which is the only place where I'm seeing the color so far. The stylearms of seedling on the left [garden named "ruffled sib to aqua"] are noticebly more blue verging on a shade of blue-green, especially compared to the seedling on the right which is actually one of the bluest-purple plicata seedlings from 'Kupari' X 'Rosemary's Dream'. The contrast could be even stronger if I'd shown one of the typical violet plicatas.
I've been using pollen from "ruffled sib to aqua" on the best seedling from Iris cengialtii LOPPIO x Iris reginae that I just sent right before this e-mail. Hoping to make some more small steps toward turquoise out on the petals.

image/pjpeg