[PHOTO] SPEC: Iris japonica hybrid | Mon, 24 May 1999 19:45:03" />

[PHOTO] SPEC: Iris japonica hybrid

The flowers of this Japonica hybrid are gorgeously ruffled and the style
arms have the most incredible feathery frills.

The photo taken in full sun clearly shows the crests and the shadows they
cast.  It also sort of shows the branching and bud count.  Each stalk has
about 6 to 8 branches, and each branch produces at least 2 flowers.

The photo taken in full shade better demonstrates the lavendar-bluish cast
that the whole flower has.  Unfortunately it's not quite lavendar-bluish
enough.  If you saw the flower in real life you'd see it's really not white
at all!

I cross pollenated it with the versicolor from the previous email.  I've no
idea if the crosses will take, but heck it's sure worth a try.

This Japonica hybrid is not winter hardy.  I have to grow it in a large 25
qt. container so that I can bring it indoors during winter.  I want to
cross with Iris cristata (another crested iris) which is native to Ohio and
is completely winter hardy.  Possibly crossing it with Iris tectorum would
work too.

JPEG image

JPEG image

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com