  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] VIRUS FOUND
  • From: "sdkeller" <sdkeller@fcc.net>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 08:17:27 -0500

            Quote form Symantec:

                        SULFNBK.EXE Warning

                  Type: Hoax

            Technical description:

            The following hoax email was first reported in Brazil. The original email is in Portuguese; it is followed by several other versions.

              a.. This particular email message is a hoax. The file that is mentioned in the hoax, however, Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows utility that is used to restore long file names, and like any .exe file, it can be infected by a virus that targets .exe files.
              b.. The virus/worm W32.Magistr.24876@mm can arrive as an attachment named Sulfnbk.exe. The Sulfnbk.exe file used by Windows is located in the C:\Windows\Command folder. If the file is located in any other folder, or arrives as an attachment to a email message, then it is possible that the file is infected. In this case, if a scan with the latest virus definitions and with NAV set to scan all files does not detect the file as being infected, quarantine and submit the file to SARC for analysis by following the instructions in the document How to submit a file to SARC using Scan and Deliver.
              c.. If you have deleted the Sulfnbk.exe file from the C:\Windows\Command folder and want to know how to restore the file, see the How to restore the Sulfnbk.exe file section at the end of this document.