Re: TB: Green and Gifted - Australia - October weather

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB: Green and Gifted - Australia - October weather
  • From: dferguson@cabq.gov
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 10:08:09 -0700

Sometimes forget that there's a flip side to this world.  For a second I
thought the message from Australia must be six months old!  Anyway, it's
fun to here that spring is in full swing Down Under.

October's been a bit nasty even here in New Mexico, but not like up north.
The stuff that hit Colorado wasn't too bad here.  We had our first frost in
the yard on the 26th (34 F and ice on the car) with another (30 F) a few
days later.  This morning it was 33 F and raining when I got up, and I
drove the first three miles to work in a blinding snow storm (rain the last
47 miles).  Sort of funny, I watered the whole yard yesterday - oh well
(sort of like washing the car I guess).

Last year we were enjoying temps. around 80 F now and we had our first
frost the night before Thanksgiving (was a bit late last year).  This year
highs have been mostly in the 60's with lows mostly around 40 for several
weeks now, and its been raining on an off all around the area.  It's been
one of the most unusual Octobers I can remember, it sort of reminds me of
April in Michigan.

Interesting, we had no measurable rain from early Sept., 2001 till July
2002, but since July we've had almost 9 inches at the house (we are
supposed to average about that per year, but have been running about 4
inches for several years now).   Last winter was I think the driest on
record (at least tied, since there was no rain).  It was also very cold
(for central New Mexico) even though we broke no records for low.  Now it's
all flipped around.  Wonder if it'll be a warm wet winter?

We do get rain in the autumn, but it usually comes off of Pacific tropical
storms coming up from the Gulf of Califonia.  Then it drizzles for a few
days and then gets back to the usually sunny mild days of autumn.  This
cool cloudy weather from the northwest is really unusual.

I've been having a few problems with rot this fall (on new plantings), and
that's a new one for me.  I sometimes have rot problems, but mostly in the
heat of summer, right after I plant them.

The wind has ruined some of my re-blooming ?Eleanor Roosevelt flowers, but
the stalks are still coming up and in the gaps between wind, the cool
weather has kept the flowers looking fresh and lasting longer than normal.
Never had 6 weeks of reblooming on one kind of Iris before!

Sell a Home with Ease!