Re: Iris in Idaho

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Iris in Idaho
  • From: "nmogens" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:40:37 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., "brice rose" <iris@s...> wrote:
"Does anyone know if it is too cold to plant iris right now in Idaho?"

Yes, definitely too late.  My own experience in Idaho is that you are
about to get frozen ground if it isn't already.  You might be better
off letting the plants simply dry out as if for shipping, put them in
paper sacks and then stash in an unheated garage.  If Wal-mart iris
can survive months in those kinds of conditions, so can yours.

I've had this happen by accident.  A sack of things dug for a
customer (when I was still growing commericially in Idaho) was never
picked up, then forgotten.  I discovered them the next spring,
totally dead looking.  I pulled off the worst of the dried out
foliage, planted them, and surprisingly they ALL lived, some even
bloomed about mid Summer.  One of the group was PRAIRIE SUNSET, so
that may give you some idea how many years ago this was.

Your alternative is simply replace them from an outside source next
year during the shipping season.  That might get you satisfactory
bloom faster than any other method.

Good luck!

Neil Mogensen, now z 6b/7a between Asheville and Hendersonville, NC