Re: Software/Mulch

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Software/Mulch
  • From: "Harold Peters" harold@directcon.net
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:39:21 -0800

Mulching the paths for weed control works fairly well except for some weeds that thrive with mulch. If the soil in the paths is a mud problem, mulch really helps. A nearby commercial garden used tree trimming chips for his mulch. No cost as the tree trimmers are always looking for places to dump. There is no concern about pathway mulch using the nitrogen for the irises. Nitrogen is downward mobile but not particularly sideways.
I use Roundup extensively on my 1 acre of irises. I keep a low pressure in the tank, use a special Roundup fogging nozzle and am carefully with the spray wand. If I accidentally spray an iris leaf, I either wash it off with a laundry spray bottle or tear the leaf off. Most years I have less than 20 blooms with Roundup distortion. I consider that a very minor price to pay for killing thousands of weeds while standing up. There is no noticable long term effect on the rhizomes. I have used Roundup to weed rows that had so many weeds that you could not see the irises. It took three sprayings to achieve weed control. The first to kill enough weeds to see the irises. The second got the weeds in close to the iris fans and the third to get rid of anything missed on the second pass.
I am a safety engineer and have very carefully read the MSDS for Roundup. When used according to directions and with care, it is very safe. We used to have a couple of dogs who lived in what was my fenced in garden. Every year they had problems with stickers from the weeds. After reading the MSDS, I used Roundup to control the weeds in their area and no more foxtail problems and associated expensive vet bills. The dogs went to college with my youngest daughter who didn't trust me to take care of them as she knew I didn't like the dogs and that my wife wouldn't take adequate care of them.