Re: Mulch Question

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Mulch Question
  • From: "Jim Rohrer" jrohrer31@earthlink.net
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:14:33 -0500

Janice I have tried several methods , first off I have my iris mounded in rows approx. 6 to 8  inches higher then the surrounding areas , I have placed wood chips in-between rows  to a depth to level the rows ,, results very good but you still get occasionally weeds, Next I have used strips 0f used carpet  which we had left over when we recarpeted ,results from this was the best for controlling weeds-   ,, I  have also used left over shingles placed two wide overlapping with groundup leaves underneith ,I use these in my informal gardens of mixed perienals  ,, results very good,  Hope this helps,   Jim. ---- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 11:09 AM
Subject: [iris-photos] Mulch Question

I have used Preen (preemergent) and Grass Out to combat the grass and weed
problem in my iris garden but I find myself still spending days hand
weeding. I would prefer to spend those days doing something else :-)

Has any tried using mulch? I have my irises planted in long rows and I was
going to try putting mulch down on the path between the rows. I will not put
any mulch close to the irses. I know that as the mulch decomposes it takes
up the nitrogen in the soil but since I feed my irises anyway I thought this
would not be a major problem. Has anyone tried this approach or have another
solution I have not tried yet? I would truly like to get away from chemical
control of weeds.

Any help would be appreciated.
Janice Frizzell

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor