Re: Re: ADMIN: Poll

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: ADMIN: Poll
  • From: Gerry Snyder gerrysnyder@attbi.com
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:39:54 -0800

Autmirislvr@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 11/25/2002 8:18:28 PM Central Standard Time,
> redear@infinet.com writes:
> << I don't understand about the pictures downloading to peoples hard
>  drive. >>
> Mike, I'm on AOL.  When I open a message with photo attached from iris photo,
> I can read the message, but if I want to see the picture I have to click
> download.  That puts it on my hard drive.  I've recently read that deleting
> something from your hard drive doesn't really remove it.  It gives permission
> to over write, but the original information is still there.  Pictures take up
> a lot of space.

A deleted picture does not take up space. The area on the hard disk is
no less available than if the file had never had been written. It's that
some of the 0's have been changed to 1's, and that does not make the
disk spin any slower.

Writing files and then deleting them can contribute to fragmentation of
the available space, slowing response when it gets bad, though.

The main point is that the lack of deletion is of concern only where
security is important, but not at all to ordinary users.

American Iris Society Affiliates Chair, Symposium Chair, and Director
in warm, winterless Los Angeles--USDA zone 9b-ish, Sunset 18-19

ˇFREE Health Insurance Quotes-eHealthInsurance.com