[PHOTO] TB: Iris Show, weather | Sat, 1 Nov 2003 04:00:43" />

[PHOTO] TB: Iris Show, weather

Hi

Had the South Australian iris show last weekend. I got champion floret with
a bloom of Dodge City. I don't normally show much, but it is such a late
season and with many members in Perth for the National Convention it was a
case of showing whatever was out. Both Dodge City and Eagles Song had
enormous blooms. EaglesSong got reserve champion floret.

For our sales we had to pick blooms on the Wed and Thursday and keep them
warm inside to try to get them to open, becuase it's such a cold late
season. Jesse's Song was looking her usual lovely self, but a good two weeks
later tham usual ( she also got a prize, as best stem of plicata). So glad
the show wasn't this weekend, we may have a bit more out, but had a lot of
hail on Friday morning, which shredded most blooms. Have had to warm blooms
inside for the last two days to get fresh blooms open for a garden show
tomorrow. Wouldn't have even reached 15oC today as a max, showery and a cold
wind. Any garden visitors today froze but they still came. We promised temps
in the mid 20s by Tuesday but I'm skeptical. We've still got dwarfs and aril
breds flowering, yet a few spurias and louisiannas are out.

Colleen Modra
Adelaide Hills
South Australia  Zone 8/9

colleen@impressiveirises.com.au