Re: unknown?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] unknown?
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" jgcrump@erols.com
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 17:56:02 -0500

Will  --  I would agree with the suggestion that your iris is
QUEEN'S SPLENDOR. Those white standards and their shape fairly shout "Paul
Cook dominant amoena breeding"!  It's a beautiful iris.  You say it's a
little short and you can't get it to set seed.  But does it have pollen?
Some folks think that the pod parent is more determinant of the offspring's
shape and stature than is the pollen parent.  If that's the case, you might
want to put the Queen's pollen on a very modern cultivar of your choice that
has broad, flaring falls, and hope that it will bring you a more modern
shape.  And while you're at it, you might choose another amoena as the pod
parent.  --  Griff