RE: unknown?&book suggestions?

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] unknown?&book suggestions?
  • From: "Harold Peters" harold@directcon.net
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 16:49:41 -0800

There is a saying about gardening from books that goes: "If you have to read
a book to garden, only read one. If you read two, you will be hopelessly
confused." The reason for the confusion is the conflicting information.

I have most of the iris books and the only one I recommend even for the
advanced gardener is Shear's. Almost all of the others I have read either
didn't have the basic information I was looking for or the information was
out of date. "The Siberian Iris" and "The Louisiana Iris" are the two
exceptions. Shear's book does a good job on those two types of irises.

I particularly don't recommend "The World of Irises" as it is way out of
date.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road