RE: unknown?&book suggestions?

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] unknown?&book suggestions?
  • From: "Harold Peters" harold@directcon.net
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 22:01:51 -0800

Will, I thought my first reply would get me in trouble but the question
about hybridizing just about guarantees me riling up a bunch of folks.

Japanese Iris are about the only major kind of iris that I do not grow. I
just attended a judges' training on JIs and I may have to devote a kiddie
pool to them. I am not familiar with "The Japanese Iris" but Currier was
very good so I assume the book will also be good.

There are a number of hybridizers on this list so  you should be able to get
a wide range of advise. I do not hybridize because I do not like failing
99.999% of the time and I have gophers that like to eat irises. Being an
ardent believer in Murphy's Law, I know that the seedling beds would have 10
gophers no matter how many I kill.

I have had a number of well known hybridizers encourage me to take up
hybridizing. Their advice that made sense to me was:

1.	Have definite objectives.
2.	Put pretty on pretty
3.	Use the best parents that you can afford to acquire.
4.	Cull second year seedlings ruthlessly
5.	Put the pollen on the stigmatic lip, not the beard (attempt at humor)

If one of  your objectives is to introduce a few of your creations through
AIS keep in mind at all times that new introductions are supposed to be
better than anything already introduced. IMHO Schreiner's has the best
hybridizing program in the world. They are hybridizing today with unnamed
seedlings that will be Dykes Medal winners in 10 years. They do 20000
seedlings a year with some of the best irises in the world for about 10 to
15 introductions. The amateur can't match Shreiner's knowledge and resources
so you should figure on 100,000 seedlings for 1 introduction.

About your question about resources on hybridizing. There are a number of
references on the mechanics of hybridizing, germination techniques and that
type of thing. To the best of my knowledge there is no good source of
information about the practical genetic information that serious hybridizers
have based on experience. Examples of this type of information is:

Which irises tend to give good/bad branching as pod/pollen parents
Which irises tend to give certain colors and/or patterns as pod/pollen
parents
which irises tend to be good/bad parents as pod/pollen parents

This practical information is gained from experience only if you are
observant and can develop a method of recalling the information.

Hope this helps.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road