Re: CULT:The Big Dig

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos]CULT:The Big Dig
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 07:03:59 EST

In a message dated 11/1/2003 8:58:46 PM Central Standard Time, fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net writes:

I doubt that yours will be able to grow roots until the ground warms next spring.  Have you planted this late before and had them grow well come spring?

Yes, I've planted this late before.  Will they grow well?  Probably not, but they will grow. I've often done things that 'can't be done!'  Even in the iris gardens.  Most will survive.  My theory is that they are better off on/in the ground than hanging in my shed or in the compost heap, my other options for the freshly (and not so freshly) dug irises.  There aren't enough pots in commerce to pot them!  LOL!

The problem will be heaving. As a precautionary measure, I've buried the rhizomes a bit deeper (not a lot) than I would normally, and I removed most of the old roots.  In addition, I will walk the rows all winter hunting for heaved rhizomes, something I don't normally worry about.  When found, I will 'tromp' them back into the soil.

I've often pushed the envelope by doing what must be done.  Mine has always been a one person adventure, since none of my family share my gardening passion. This is changing since the 4 year old granddaughter planted IMMORTALITY, IVORY WAY and a handful of others!  LOL!

Teaghen, the granddaughter, stunned her mother, Holly, one day last week by asking if Mom thought she could make some crosses.  Not being of the iris persuasion, Mom was a bit puzzled until Teaghen mentioned irises!  I've promised she can.

Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 tired but extremely happy!

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor