Re: OT:Center Stage

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos]OT:Center Stage
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 07:20:09 EST

In a message dated 11/1/2003 9:06:18 PM Central Standard Time, fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net writes:

Mine will stay warm next week as I plant 800+ iris seeds in my former guest iris bed.

You plant iris seed directly into the ground? I've read that iris seed, programmed for survival, can still sprout 25 years after they originally hit the ground.  I'm afraid to plant in the soil.  But, it would make transplanting a thing of the past. I've just over 1,000 seed to plant.  I stopped by Dave Niswonger's house several years ago and his wife showed me where he'd planted seed directly into a flower bed, but they were still in a clump like with the pots.  They were growing better than mine in pots at home.

I find planting in pots much more manageable.  I DON'T want my seed to sprout during the fall so I plant around Thanksgiving after the air & potting soil have both cooled.  It's staying so warm this year, I may have to plant at Christmas!  I have a trench to set them in again this year!  I expect better germination next spring . . . if the deer don't tromp the pots!

I couldn't manage without my portable bench.  I'm thinking about getting a second one since I still have hundreds of seedlings at a friends house and need one just to carry in my trunk.  I even use it to weed.

Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor