Re: unknown?&book suggestions?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] unknown?&book suggestions?
  • From: Christopher Darlington chris.darlington@sympatico.ca
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 16:23:32 -0500

Harold Peters wrote:
 IMHO Schreiner's has the best
> hybridizing program in the world. They are hybridizing today with unnamed
> seedlings that will be Dykes Medal winners in 10 years. They do 20000
> seedlings a year with some of the best irises in the world for about 10 to
> 15 introductions. The amateur can't match Shreiner's knowledge and resources
> so you should figure on 100,000 seedlings for 1 introduction.

Harold,

Yeah, but lets not discourage anybody from trying to hybridize, it's a
heck of a lot of fun.  The TB market is too saturated anyway, but
playing around with Arilbreds, Siberians or  Space Agers would increase
your chances of coming up with something interesting if your were dead
set on introducing something.

Who cares what Schreiner's do anyway ?  There's a magical feeling that a
backyard hybridizer with few expectations feels when a seedling opens.
That's what it's all about for myself.  I don't mind experiencing
failure, it builds character ;-)

Chris

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.