Re: variegated seedling (1)

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: variegated seedling (1)
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:55:31 -0000

Hello Chris,

> curious whether you saved the pollen from the AB's and used it
> later for these TB X AB crosses or were the plants in bloom at the
> same time.

Probably both, but most were probably done using collected pollen.
I just nab the anther and drop them in labeled Dixie cups (small
ones) and then keep them on a shelf in the refrigerator door.  I
usually use an artists brush to get the pollen and apply it.  Seems
to keep the pollen good for my short bloom season.  If plants I'm
wanting to cross are both ready at the same time, I make the cross
that way.  Often, though, the ABs are blooming in front of the TBs
so I use the stored pollen.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA