Fw: freeze, rebloom and OT

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Fw: freeze, rebloom and OT
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" jgcrump@erols.com
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:04:37 -0500

For some reason, this message isn't going through on iris@hort.net, so here's a try on iris-photos:
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 2:23 PM
Subject: CULT: freeze, rebloom and OT

Went up to Pennsylvania for a couple of days, and we had a freeze back here in the Washington area Saturday night. It caught three rebloomers budding  -- the two remaining stalks of HAUNTING, one of ETERNAL BLISS and one of a new seedling.  Last night, a deeper freeze -- down to 20 --  was forecast, so I covered all buds with athletic socks.  We will see . . .
At the Irish (not iris) immersion weekend in Jamison, Pennsylvania, a couple of our members demonstrated the making of súgán, a rope made in the threshing fields from straw, flax,  or whatever else may be around  -- in this case -- local weeds.  One man held the bow-shaped spindle across the small of his back in order to brace it as he turned it, while the other worked handfuls of the weeds into the strand created by attaching the first batch to the end of the spindle.  In less than 10 minutes, a 10-ft rope had been produced that was sturdy enough for binding sheaves or bundles of thatch.  It was satisfying to see weeds put to some useful purpose.  In fact, I have some that are long and strong enough to bind things without being made into rope!
--  Griff, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor