[PHOTO] RE: Tessie the Tease & Lunar Frost PIC | Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:36:08" />

[PHOTO] RE: Tessie the Tease & Lunar Frost PIC

  • Subject: [PHOTO] RE: [iris-photos] Tessie the Tease & Lunar Frost PIC
  • From: "Margie Valenzuela" IrisLady@comcast.net
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:27:37 -0700

I'm resending this one.  I sent it out yesterday...............  but haven't seen it show up yet.
Hi Griff,
We love them, they just don't love us. Many of us here have tried to grow these beauties over and over again.  They need cooler weather for a longer length of time to grow and set blooms.  Sometimes the first year they will bloom due to the energy already stored in them, but after that - - they will barely grow.  And there is never or hardly ever another bloom.  I understand some iris growers in Arizona who live in higher and/or cooler elevations are fortunate enough to get IB's to bloom. (The higher elevations provide an environment for MTB's and SDB's to bloom also).
The last one I tried growing was Lunar Frost.  This is a photo of it in my yard.  It looked great for 1 spring. After another 2 springs of it not blooming again and dwindling down to almost nothing - I finally got rid of it.  :-(     When it did bloom it was shorter than it should have been too.
TB's, Arilbreds, Border Beardeds, Spuria, and Louisiana's do great at our elevation.
At this point - - sadly the only reason I would see for us in the desert to grow an IB, MTB, or STB is to get the pollen from it the one year it blooms.
Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.
Zone 8/9

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor