Re: Rainbow Hybridizing Catalog

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Rainbow Hybridizing Catalog
  • From: Sterling Okase sterling_o@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 06:31:04 -0800 (PST)

--- Patricia Wenham <h.schinkep@verizon.net> wrote:
> more interesting is the message about Advance Guard.

My memory is very sketchy on this whole story but
basically, Austin used Advance Guard while Sidney
Mitchell still had it under seedling number. Austin
produced seedling JS-M-17B that he used to produce a
number of his Space Age iris. Austin wrote an article
about it in one of the old AIS bulletins but for the
life of me, I cannot remember which one. I thought it
was in one of the early 60s edition. If I find it, I
will post more accurate info.

By the way, if you're ever in Seattle, you are welcome
to browse through my Rainbow catalogs. I have a nearly
complete collection from the late 40s to the late 60s.
They are in color and good conditon.

Sterling
Seattle, WA. USA
zone 8