Confused: Orris Iris Germanica "Florentina" or ?

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Confused: Orris Iris Germanica "Florentina" or ?
  • From: "A. Rivarola" <andinsky@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:53:25 -0800

This beauty bloomed early in Spring and rebloomed in October. I bought it at a local nursery in 2003 with the following full name in its tag: "Orris Iris Germanica Florentina." That is when the problem started; I cannot find it's real identity on the Web. Now, the other problem is that the size of this plant is approximately no larger than one foot. I am also sharing a second picture of it separately. I will enjoy this Iris not matter what the name is, but if anybody can help me out it would be great. Thanks. -- Andi, Valley Glen, CA z10B
See the description I found:
Botanical Source and History.?Three species of iris furnish the orris-root of commerce, the Iris germanica, or Blue flag; the Iris pallida, or Pale flag, and the Iris florentina, or White flag. The first is indigenous to south Europe, and found likewise in Morocco and northern India, and is cultivated near Florence and Lucca, besides being a common flower in London gardens. All three species have the general characteristics of the order, but differ in the color of the flower.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5584357.6650215.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2426685/rand=453224229

Yahoo! Groups Links