Re: Still more Oldies but goodies

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Still more Oldies but goodies
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:40:25 -0500

Dave, your photos must be coming up in a different order than those coming in here.  The first one is a bright coppery one with intense yellow in the center.  That certainly is not a plicata of white with some violet blue markings most intensely expressed in the haft.
The last ("Los Angeles") is a white with some striations running out onto the fall from the beard area, quite unlike LOS ANGELES.  LOS ANGELES is conspicuously a plicata along the lines of SAN FRANCISCO, but quite a bit lighter in color.  The basic pattern and style-arm coloration is similar to SF but paler.  This plant has pure white styles.
The suggestion that the labels are at the unexpected end of the plant is something that also occured to me.  The label may have referred to the other, not to this one.
I try to make a habit of always putting the stake or label on the left of the plant from the position from which we view, as the normal reading pattern in English is left to right.  Were I using Hebrew, Arabic or other right-to-left language, I supppose I would do the opposite.
I note that the errors in varieties sent out by Suttons often were from the crew sent out to dig that they dug the wrong side of the label.  That is an error so easily done!  Communication across a language barrier and with hired help who don't know the system is quite a task.
It's possible this garden had similar problems and labels are at the "wrong" (unexpected) end of the planting.
Neil Mogensen   z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

Yahoo! Groups Links