Re: Seedling Beds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Seedling Beds
  • From: "jgcrump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 17:54:54 -0500

Very nice looking layout, Patrick.  As one who has been planting seedlings 6" apart for many years because of space constraints, I would advise you to plant them farther apart if you have the space to do so.   At 6" apart, vigorous seedlings will have started invading their neighbors' space by the end of 2 years, and after 3 years you'll have trouble telling some clumps apart (nose to the ground, carefully scraping dirt off of rhizomes, looking for which branched off of which).  Either that, or invest in a lot of markers, so that you can label every seedling.  So, my advice would be, if you're only going to leave them in place for 2 years, 6" is ok.  If longer, spread them out.  Oh, and by the way, if someone convinces you to get rid of those roses, send them my way, please.  --  Griff