Re: TB: Daughter of Stars

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB: Daughter of Stars
  • From: "Patrick Orr" <irisdude@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:38:55 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:38:55 -0700

Betty,

Irises in southern AZ often appear lighter in color saturation than elsewhere in the country.  That is the norm. I have heard it being attributed to our soil being fairly new, compared with the more mature soils up north and back east.  We also lack many of the micronutrients found elsewhere.

This is one of the things that make me excited about hybridizing. If I get something beautiful in my garden out of my crosses, I know it will look even better elsewhere.

George Sutton was shocked when I showed him a picture I took of my HONEY SCOOP when he was here as a guest speaker.  He said in Porterville, the variety has a honey color to it, but out here it was more chrome-yellow in color.  When I was in Texas at the convention, a northern hybridizer mentioned to me while looking at his guests he sent that he was amazed how washed out the colors looked down here.

Acidity of the soil also plays an important part, so I have heard. Our soils out here are alkaline.  It takes a lot to get them slightly acidic and keep them that way. Continuous cultivation and moisture along with plenty of organic material, or a soil acidifying chemical, is needed.  That is difficult to do in the desert.  If you get lazy, the soil quickly reverts back toward alkaline.  If you have very sandy soil like I do, it takes almost no time at all.

Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ  Zone 9
USA