TB: HIST: Mrs. George Darwin - beard strangeness

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] TB: HIST: Mrs. George Darwin - beard strangeness
  • From: Laurie Frazer lauriefr@localnet.com
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 11:28:09 -0600

In preparing this bloom season's photos for inclusion on my website, I
found something quite unique that I didn't notice when observing the
living flowers in bloom.  MRS. GEORGE DARWIN is an old historic with an
exquisite vein pattern on pristine white flowers, but the feature I now
find most intriguing is the beards.  Note the "ridge" (crest?) that
extends below the primary beard.  I don't believe I've ever seen
anything like it before.  A spaceage precursor, perhaps?  Are there
other similar examples of which anyone is aware? Is this a fairly
common phenomenon which I have simply been overlooking?

Laurie