Re: REB: unknown bicolor again

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] REB: unknown bicolor again
  • From: "jgcrump" jgcrump@erols.com
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 11:41:22 -0500

As one who has often transgressed by sending too-large photos, I have tried hard to find a way to reduce size and keep quality.  So far, I think I have found the key to keeping some amount of detail while reducing size.  In my case, using PhotoShop,  I reduce the dimensions of the photo, rather than the pixels, i.e., when using the Resize feature, I reduce the document size (inches x inches) of the photo by whatever percentage it takes to get the photo down to between 50 and 100kb, but leave the pixel dimensions alone.  I'm attaching to this message a photo which was originally 438kb, but is now --  at least at the point of sending (heaven knows what the cybergremlins may do to it enroute) -- 60.4kb.  (This takes some experimentation and getting used to, since PhotoShop shows this document's dimensions, for instance, as 2.8" x 3", and reducing it by 50% drops it to 1.4" x 1.5", seemingly thumbnail-size, but it actually ends up about 4 1/2" x 4 3/4" on the screen.)

Next, (brace yourselves, fellow dial-uppers), I'm going to send the original at 438kb.   I have deliberately chosen a flower with delicate shadings  --  and even a guest aboard  --  so the difference between the two versions can be seen.  If someone can reduce photos and keep better quality, I would welcome learning how to do it.  I've seen some pretty good-looking ones here on our list that are under 100 kb, but still as much as 4x4" on the screen, but don't know how it was done.  Maybe someone will tell us.  Meantime, I, too, feel bad about having to send photos which by their small size obscure lots of beauty.  --  Griff