Re: Re:ADMIN: File sizes

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re:ADMIN: File sizes
  • From: John I Jones jijones@usjoneses.com
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:08:44 -0800

On Nov 10, 2005, at 12:32 PM, Sandra B wrote:

> I personally can't see it would make any difference in terms of dial
> up.....and at a total size of
> 200kb it would be pretty hard to tell since it really doesn't take
> that long (I usually have a 44 kb to
> 50kb per second speed though - I guess that's 4 seconds per email
> download time).

Sandra,

Just to be precise, modem speeds are rated at bits per second, and file
sizes in bytes (8 bits per byte). So a 200KB file (1600 kb) would take
about 32-35 seconds depending on line quality and the error correction
algorithms.

For the time being, if someone wants to show a large picture the
iris-photos album site on Yahoogroups should suffice, while I look at
other options. Another list is certainly an option.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Director, American Iris Society

Subscribe to iris@hort.net by sending: