Re: Re: holland calling

  • Subject: Re: Re: holland calling
  • From: "Francesca Thoolen" <arilpums@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:30:38 -0800

Hi Loic, Whew! that is a lot of dwarf irises you have planted. Are all of these your crosses? Are these all pumilas, or mdbs with some pumila in their background. When they are pumila I am particular interested in obtaining some when available. The pumilas have become neglected in the last 30-40 years when they discovered crossed with TBs they could get SDBs when these SDBs were ntercrossed among themselves they discovered that many SDB breeding broght small version and had to be classified as MDB. That is confusing, so one must be very careful when choosing parents that the right parents are being used to obtain fertile lines to get on with another generation without frustrations. Although many people try the odd crosses and it seems to me a lot of work to obtain a few. It is o.k. if you like to do this, but do keep in mind the pro's and the con's. I look forward to next spring when you will share your photos with us (with parentages included). Sounds like you will have a wonderful surprise. If you are interested in getting arilpums which the result of crossing tetraploid OGs and RCs with pure pumilas, you must do just that; cross tetraploid with tetraploid. Have fun.

Francesca