Re: HYB: Complementary White Carotenoid Genes in SDB

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Complementary White Carotenoid Genes in SDB
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 20:10:14 -0000

What you have here is the background colour of Buddy Boy with
anthocyanin removed by four dosages of Recessive Reduction of
anthocyanin. It has four dosages of tangerine gene, tttt

Songline is a tttt plant from a cross of a pink (Blissed Out) by a a
plant that probably looked a lot like Buddy Boy, a sib to Rumours, and
both of its parents had tttt genes. Basically Songline would be a
white with red beards (allthough not an intense beard) if it didn't
have anthocyanin. This removal of pink from a tangerine plant is a
recessive, and seen in all red bearded red plants. When crossed to a
pink or tttt plant, will give all pink plants (unless it has some of
the genes that remove the _expression_ of pink).

Buddy Boy is a combination of pink and delphinidin, thus its rosy
colour. When it blooms next year, you can test this by boiling a petal
in water until the anthocyanin is removed, and the petal will be the
same colour as your seedling. I'm assuming Buddy boy is tttt, baed on
what I know, it may only be Tttt, but not less then 3 ts based on its

As to the recessive reduction of anthocyanin genes, look at parentage.
Blyth works a lot with RRA, and Buddy Boy has many of Blyth plants on
both sides of its parentage, and of course, Songline is pure Blyth.

Thus 1/4 of the offspring from Songline X Buddy Boy will have a full
set of RRA genes, and no anthocyanin, or actually, much reduced

While Buddy Boy could carry some plicata genes, it is not clear how
many dosages it may have.

If you notice, on you pic of the seedling there is a bit of blue at
the end of the beard, and touches of blue at the hafts, showing in the
veining. These are not usually seen in glaciatas, and it just does not
have a glaciata look. You could test for sure by crossing seedling to
a plicata to see if you get all plicata from the cross, but be sure it
is not one of Blyths licatas carrying RRA genes, as this will confuse
the results.

I have done a lot of work on these sets of genes and there are a lot
of secrets to tell, but this result is easily explained.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Meckenstock" <dmeck@...> wrote:
> I am talking about the carotenoid pathway. I think I have found two
of the elusive complementary white carotenoid genes in the SDB
background. In other words, two non-carotenoid pigmented flowers when
crossed produce a colored carotenoid flower. The genes were found in
the cross.
> Songlines x Buddy Boy = pale orange F1, with no anthocyanidins
> In fact, two of 11 seedlings were pale orange. Needless to say, I
was surprised to see these two segregates. A photo of one of the pale
orange seedlings is attached. It is identified as 06 SDB 1297. This
flower is heterozygous at two of the white carotenoid loci and should
produce white offsping if self-polinated. This is a test cross I need
to do. This flower should also be homozygous pl--a condition that
blocks the anthocyanin pathway.
> The female parent, Songlines, is a blue plicata with no carotenoid
pigmentation, Sorry about the focus.
> The male parent, Buddy Boy, is a blue flower with red hafts. I need
to check this next year with the microscope, but I believe the red
hafts are caused by yellow chromoplasts, but the falls are void of
colored chromoplasts.
> There is a lot of heterozygosity in this cross. For example, for a
pale orange F1 flower with no anthocyanidins to appear, Buddy Boy has
to be at least pl pl - -. This also suggest blue is a heterozygous
white condition, but I do not have sufficient evidence to prove this
> I have other crosses that indicate color in the hafts and falls
inherit independently. I therefore make the assumption the hafts and
falls are different genetic domains. As such, the white carotenoid
genes I have serendipitously discovered function in the domain of the
standards and falls.
> Regards

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group