Re: seedling spacing

  • Subject: Re: seedling spacing
  • From: "Margie Valenzuela" <IrisLady@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 20:00:24 -0700

Donald, those are mighty healthy seedlings you have growing there.  Looks as if they may all bloom for you come spring!  Hopefully it'll be a warmer winter/early spring than most years for you so you can see your babies.

Possibly even at 8-10 inches that will be fine.  I usually plant my seedlings a foot apart and that seems to be a sufficient enough of space until just after their maiden bloom. After their maiden bloom I usually replant. You know though - even at a foot apart - you have those seedlings that look as if they are on "steroids" and others that are yelling "just leave me alone, I like being lazy".

This is what I do with those that are way too vigorous:  When they reach the point that they may crowd another seedling or seedlings out I will simply dig out the section or sections of it which is/are intruding on the others and leave the rest of that seedling there untouched.  Then I replant those dug out sections in another location to continue growing........be it a newly bought pot or an area where something else did not grow or winter killed off.   So far this works well for me.

This year I DID go ahead and plant them closer (about 8-10 inches apart) due to lack of space.  Seeing your photos I may be sorry that I did............but maybe not.

~ Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.