seedling spacing

  • Subject: seedling spacing
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 14:09:33 -0600

It's nice to have the seedlings grow well.  In fact, considering that these
were knocked down to ground level after a major hail storm, these look
darned good.  However, I foresee problems.  The obvious one is they are too
crowded.  Spacing them 8-10 inches apart looks fine when they are 1-2 inches
tall, but good growth and anywhere from 2-6 increases and more increase
showing up every week uses that space rapidly.  How far do some of you other
folks space seedlings?

The other problem is they have grown well enough that most of them will
bloom next spring.  They are primed to get the bud stalks frozen by the
almost inevitable late freeze.  Once again.  My experience is that seedlings
will bloom the first time earlier in the season than they will in subsequent
seasons.  Not quite sure why.  I'm not going to like that.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links