CULT: Rebloom - Plum Wine?

  • Subject: CULT: Rebloom - Plum Wine?
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 13:31:13 -0500

Blooming today in a part of the garden where it was never planted is what I believe is PLUM WINE (J. Weiler '86).  I've grown PW for many years, but never anywhere near this part of the garden.  It has cropped up  --  a nice clump of it -- crowding the other cultivar which belongs there.  12 1/2" tall, with three more stalks following the one now blooming.  It has PW's distinctive red-purple-based foliage.  Curiously, the long-established clumps of PW (as well as those of WHAT, AGAIN?) have not rebloomed this year.  I can only guess that they need thinning.
While checking photos of PW to confirm its identity, I noticed something odd, though.  The registry's description of PW says the beard is "dark red violet".  But, as may be seen in the attached photo, the beard on this one is definitely blue  --  and so are the beards on the photos of PW posted at Dave's Garden (except for the topmost photo, which I don't think is really PW).  The beards of Plum Plum, a parent of PW, are blue, but its petals are narrower and its color not as deep as PW.
Does anyone have PLUM WINE with red-violet beards?  --  Griff
__._,_.___ Web Bug from http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97476590/grpId=43451/grpspId=1707632694/msgId=35002/stime=1162406215

Iris Iris plants Purple iris
Iris bulb Photos of

JPEG image