Re: Re: [SPAM] Re: AIS REGISTER-spelling swap

  • Subject: Re: Re: [SPAM] Re: AIS REGISTER-spelling swap
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 21:20:27 -0800

You have to be careful with the "X"s. There should should only be one
capital "X" in a parentage distinguishing the pod parent from the
pollen parent of that iris. All the rest are lower case "x"s to
distinguish the pod and pollen parents of the rest of the parentage
lines:

From Irisregister.com

PARENTAGES

All parentages contain one large X, which indicates the final cross
that was made; everything to the left of the X pertains to the pod
(female) parent, everything to the right pertains to the pollen (male)
parent.

Each set of parentheses ( ) represents one cross of two parents.  Thus
– (A x B) represents a cross of Plant A as the pod parent, plant B as
the pollen parent.  (C x (A x B)) represents Plant C as pod parent, a
seedling (A x B) as pollen parent.

Additional information may be included, such as:  91-42A: (Entourage x
Vanity).  This means that seedling 91-42A is from (or =) a cross of
Entourage (pod) x Vanity (pollen).

81-131H, sib to Snowbrook, would mean that seedling 81-131H is a
sibling of Snowbrook, and that its parentage can be found by checking
the registration for Snowbrook (which may be in a prior Check List).

As parentages become ever more complicated, occasionally you may find
something similar to – W 170-1, pod parent of Devil's Lake.  This means
you must go to the registration for Devil's Lake and find the parentage
of W 170-1 as indicated within the Devil's Lake parentage.

In some cases seedling numbers are used representing irises that have
never been registered.

__._,_.___
Yahoo! News

US News