Re: CULT: Rebloom 064G13

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Rebloom 064G13
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 13:28:05 -0500

It's a noseful, Mike.  Very pleasing, to me, at least.  So far, all of the rebloomers I have sniffed in gardens and at shows this fall have had good, easily detectable fragrance.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm wondering if fragrance goes with rebloom.

It's interesting that you're getting inquiries about fragrance and, particularly, that they are increasing.  Visitors to our shows often register surprise upon learning that irises have fragrance.  Maybe roses just get all the press.

I must confess that, as a hybridizer, I have often overlooked fragrance because of concentrating on looks.  More than once, I've said to myself that such-and-such is a keeper just based on fragrance, but later have overlooked it in the selection process.  If one had room in his or her garden, it might be nice to grow some otherwise undistinguished specimens with good fragrance just to use or give as gifts as cut flowers.

And while we're on the subject, it's interesting to me to note that some flowers  --  ETERNAL BLISS, for example  --  perfume the room, even though their scent up close doesn't seem to be that strong, while others sock you in the nose up close, but don't seem to project the fragrance very far.  --  Griff