Re: HYB: seedling

  • Subject: Re: HYB: seedling
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 06:22:05 -0500

2 or 3! But at least that's better than zero!

<How many buds?>

It has fairly good substance and form - looks better in real life than
the photos. It's more pleated than ruffled, but some potential there...

<and the texture?>

I wouldn't write this one off as not being a spring bloomer. The piece
that I dug last fall and brought indoors in a pot might be blooming size
this spring.

<Since this one seems to be an autumn bloomer that doesn't rebloom in
the spring...>

I think I may have some better options for you with some of the other
reblooming TB seedlings, if any of the wee SDBs you sent bloom to use as
pod parents.

Otherwise, BABY BLESSED is the only reblooming SDB I can count on here,
and it isn't very reliable. NEGRA MODELO doesn't rebloom for me, but
is strong here and reblooms elsewhere. And has produced a bee pod once.

<you should keep all of its pollen in the deep freezer so you can daub
it in the spring on some reblooming SDBs for me, pleeeeease....>

<Everything here has frozen, about 100 stalks; that is really an
incentive to try and produce EARLY rebloomers!>

I wish HARVEST OF MEMORIES produced nicer seedlings - although it only
blooms twice a year, it is the very best for fall bloom early enough to
escape being frozen. VIOLET MIRACLE is almost as reliable, and
occasionally blooms more than spring and fall.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8