CULT: Rebloom surprise

  • Subject: CULT: Rebloom surprise
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 20:03:30 -0500

Sunday a week ago, I was musing that while I have produced many amoenas, I'd never produced a reblooming one.   The next morning, while checking a seedling patch, I was astonished to discover a bloom opening on 95V1  --  a blue-violet "velvet" amoena.  This is a 12-year-old plant that has never before rebloomed.  It's the sort of thing that convinces you that Someone is listening!  The flower form is what might be expected in a 12-year-old seedling, but the branching is fine, and the bud count is 6 or 7.  I'll have no hesitance to use it in breeding.  This photo isn't great, but will have to do.  I've cut the stalk in the face of tonight's 33-degree forecast.  The cross is 93KK5:(Q76:(Sleeping Beauty x Schiaparelli) x Wabash) X RINGO.  In the photo, the standards have picked up a slight violet reflection from the falls, but they are, in fact, stark white, which indicates to me that it is a full recessive amoena. --  Griff

JPEG image