Re: TB: HYB: clear rim on falls

  • Subject: Re: TB: HYB: clear rim on falls
  • From: mike theissen <miketheissen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 09:05:48 -0800 (PST)

Hi Francelle-- Is this first bloom for this seedling? I think that rim patterns add to the flowers appeal. As a judge we are supposed to look at all aspects of new seedlings, and give encouragement to hybridizers in developing improvements that add to the Iris. I have seen a lot of Iris introduced that to me seem to be repeats of flowers already out there. I have been hybridizing for several years and as of yet I have not introduced any because I compare and if it seems too close to one already there I compost or use for further hybridizing. I would say bloom it for a couple years to see if it stays consistant and if it still grows and performs and it meets your criteria for intro go for it.     Mike

FRANCELLE EDWARDS <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

This seedling of mine has a noticeable clear rim on its falls.  In sunlight it glitters like tiny drops of dew.  I thought that it was pretty and gave distinction to the iris.  However, noted hybridizer said that he considered that type of rim a defect and destroys seedlings that have it.  I would like other opinions about this.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9