re: [iris} HYB: CULT: another tale from iris hell

  • Subject: re: [iris} HYB: CULT: another tale from iris hell
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 13:40:02 -0500

Linda Mann wrote:

> The squirrel population has boomed again . . .
>
> After half heartedly shooting at them for several weeks, vainly hoping
> that would discourage them, I finally started putting them in the
> freezer.

Well, that ought to discourage them!  But wasn't shooting them a lot simpler?

> The only time they seem to go after the seedlings is after I make the
> mistake of pulling chickweed out of the pots.

Squirrels are known for hijinks and low cunning, but beyond that, they're not very smart.  After you've disturbed the soil by pulling out the chickweed, they probably think another squirrel has buried something good to eat there and they can't wait to steal it..
> I cover small seedlings and seed germination pots with wire mesh to keep
>  them safe, but don't have a convenient way of protecting over a
> hundred pots of seedlings that range in size from this little one up to
> full sized fans, other than buying an unheated greenhouse.  Which I am
> about ready to do...

Seriously, Linda, you seem to have space for it, so why not construct what I call a winter frame? I've attached a photo of mine in iris-photos.  At 10' x 3' x 15", it holds 95 1-gal pots.  The plastic mesh lid keeps the critters out and holds up better than chicken wire.  If you built one taller  --  or a part of it taller  --  it would accommodate your full-fan pots.  The only purpose of mine is to protect seed pots over the winter, and the new seedlings' leaves are just touching the screen when I transplant them.   --  Griff

JPEG image