CULt: toad hole

  • Subject: CULt: toad hole
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:21:25 -0600

I really like the toads and appreciate the incredible quantity of insects
they devour. It's quite gratifying to see them grab a cricket or toss them
a grasshopper and watch it disappear. However, I wish they would at least
dig in between clumps rather than in the middle of a newly (relatively)
planted clump of small rhizomes. It's why I can't have a pot with
seedlings sitting where they have access to using it as a daytime room.
During the warm days of summer and fall, they find a rock or cache of leaves
(or a seedling pot if I get careless) to spend the day when they aren't
lounging in the dog watering bowl. As cooler days and night set in, they
are moving into the beds. I think eventually this is where they will
overwinter down in the soil. At least that's where I've seen them emerging
when it warms up in the spring and early summer.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

JPEG image