Re: HYB: REB: seedling help

  • Subject: Re: HYB: REB: seedling help
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 09:15:14 -0500

The lateness of Cyclic rebloom would be related to a number of factors. The leaf count at maturity is one. The plant vigour is another. That is the faster it grows, the soomer plant will reach its "Plant Maturity".

Fall Cyclic maturity seems to act like  a dominant factor, so no need to cross it with an other Fall cyclic rebloomer. Just a plant with fast growth and low "plant Maturity" leaf count.

I suspect Fall Cyclic rebloomers to  be a hybrid  anomoly. that is a mix of aphylla photoperiod dormancy with the regular bearded iris dormancy.  Thus a fall cyclic rebloomer  will likely produce as many seedlings with fall cyclic rebloom when crossed with a oncer as with another fall cyclic rebloomer, as long as plant vigour and mant maturity at bloom time factors are the same. Actually with it being a hybrid anomoly, a cross with a oncer could possibly produce more seedlings then are rebloomers produced with a cross to another fall cyclic rebloomer.

A cross of Forever Blue, ( a whenever rebloomer, not a fall cyclic rebloomer, with  very fast plant increase) when crossed with Victoria Falls, ( a cyclic rebloomer that does not rebloom in our climate) produced seedlings  where almost every seedling showed fall cyclic rebloom.  My interpretation is that Victoria Falls has a high maturity leaf count and the cross with FB reduced lematurity leaf count and increases vigour, with cyclic rebloom genes commingfrom VF.

Chuck Chapman