Re: Re: REB: fall cyclic vs other (was seedling help on photos group)

  • Subject: Re: Re: REB: fall cyclic vs other (was seedling help on photos group)
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 19:43:56 -0500

<<There is absolutly no doubt in my mind that Summer Rebloomers and Fall cyclic rebloomers are different genetically. >>

This agrees with my observations.  I do believe the sporatic and "whenever" could be the same with variations in strength and/or modifiers.  Sporatics freely bloom in warmer zones, occasionally, but rarely, blooming for me (and others) in zone 6.  The stronger "whenevers" are much more likely to bloom here, somtimes in July and August.  A problem I see with Immortality and a few others, here in my garden, is a very poor stalk to fan ratio.  Rapid increase does not always equate good rebloom, here.  Or even good spring bloom.  Apparently, there are many variables that trigger rebloom on the "whenevers."

I can't beg or steal summer bloom stalks on the cycle rebloomers.  Don't remember ever being surprised by a summer stalk on one.

Enjoying the gorgeous weather.  Most blooms have been damaged by early frosts, and something has been munching on the buds of tender stalks, but it's nice out there anyway!

Betty Wilkerson
Bridge In Time Irises
KY Zone 6.