Re: REB: Rose Kinnard's seedlings
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: REB: Rose Kinnard's seedlings
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:40:23 -0500

Thanks Rose.

Lots of <wonderful> possibilities there - annoying the rebloom doesn't
come thru. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too!

Re: Love The Sun - that makes me feel better hearing that she doesn't
easily give nicely formed kids since she won't give me anything :-(

Re: TEA LEAVES - it's a really good performer here as far as survival
and putting up stalks go, but the few crosses I've made with it have had
some problems. Some crosses have been weak, but that seems to be true
for everything (i.e., some crosses nick well, others don't), so I don't
fault it much for that. But most have had poor to very poor germination
here so far. I suspect that's a problem during seed set/development
here tho and probably? wouldn't be true in slightly better growing
conditions. It's not particularly fertile here.

Bigger problem is that it tends to produce stalks that ?aren't anchored
well enough? to stay vertical. Worse problem from its seedlings in that
regard than any other cross I've made. I'll have to look closer to see
if the root systems aren't holding them up or if the stalks just fall
over. They don't all fall over, but enough do to make me not want to
keep using it. Too bad - the colors from it and GOLDEN PANTHER were nice.

Bud count has been ok in seedlings so far and placement isn't as bad as
on TL, but not great.

I'm going to try to do some more experimental crosses with the
"summer/early fall" "foundation" rebloomers here in the vale (i.e., IMM,
VIOLET MIRACLE, HoM, MATRIX, probably TEA LEAVES, and now that I've seen
some of her seedlings, definitely add RENOWN to that list, even tho it's
not a good rebloomer here) to see which ones mix the best to give the
highest frequency of rebloom seedlings.

Not expecting the seedlings to be much to look at, but might give some
idea of which mixes will match up to give rebloom here most often.

oog - 36 different crosses, 72 if both ways.... At least I've already
done a couple of them. IMM X MATRIX - one rebloomer out of a bunch -
not a good match, at least for here; HoM X RENOWN - many rebloomers out
of a bunch.

Not that any of that will help figuring out what Oz/CA rebloomers will
yield rebloom in mid continental US!

Thanks again, Rose. Interesting.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7