Re: REB: genetics (was Rose Kinnard's seedlings)
  • Subject: Re: REB: genetics (was Rose Kinnard's seedlings)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 06:28:58 -0500

I'm not convinced yet that in my long growing season some of the
"summer" bloomers here don't also have what you are calling preferential
vernalization genetic makeup.

Plus I thought that there are multiple genes contributing to rebloom?
So it's not just presence/absence of a particular type of vernalization
requirement. Are you positive it's a different gene and not just a
different suite of max/min & duration of temperature requirements?

Takes a lot of crosses to answer that question, I think.

Most of the CA and Oz (and esp OR) rebloomers are in what is more or
less zone 8, close enough to my zone 7b temperatures. Now if we can
just combine wet/humid enthusiasm with their dry summer/low humidity
selection, and if all the other genes that contribute to rebloom match up...

I agree that it seems unlikely to work for you that far north, Chuck.
Wait for global warming? ;-)

> Final Episode seems to be one of those iris that rebloom when it has an extended period of warm weather while in a mature state. A class of rebloomers that are basically "prefernial vernalization" as versus "Obligatory vernalization".
> Obligatory vernalization means that the plant has to have vernalization before blooming. Preferntial vernalization have a secondary sytem, that enables it to rebloom when it has had a long period while sitting at maturity. These types will rebloom in Australia and California, but not else where.
> So breeding with it will perhaps produce California rebloomers, but unles you live in a climate that has an apropriate long warm growth period, it won't contribute much to a rebloom program.
> Chuck Chapman

Linda Mann east TN zone 7b USA